Reading and Phonics
At Alt, we lay strong emphasis on the teaching of reading. The ability to read well is a vital skill. We use a structured reading scheme and alongside this we encourage the children to take books home to read with their parents. Children may choose additional reading books from the well-resourced academy library. We teach reading through both individual and guided group reading.
In addition to this we also offer reading support for those children who find reading challenging. Some children may participate in intervention groups to enable them to catch up.
- Children from Nursery to Year 2 follow the ‘Read, Write Inc' scheme of work and have daily discrete phonics sessions.
- All phonic lessons are interactive, well-paced and structured so that the children are revisiting, learning, practising and applying their skills.
- Children in KS2 also continue to learn phonics if necessary and all children receive spelling lists to learn weekly.
- Phonic knowledge is assessed termly through the appropriate phonic assessment package based on the Read, Write Inc assessment tools.
- Phonic knowledge is assessed during Year 1 through the statutory phonics screening check. It also be repeated during Year 2 to monitor progress and identify those children in need of intervention.
- Reading is assessed at the end of KS1 and KS2 through the statutory assessment tests. We also use the 'Headstart' materials to assess children's progress at the end of each term.
Do you need this content in another language?